who are we
– Ugarit Culture Center is an Arab non-profit association that was founded in the city of Mainz in 2018.
– The association is a platform for discussions and exchange and a space for literature, ideas and art.
– The association believes in the universal principles of human rights and stands by the principles of democracy, justice and citizenship.
In 1928 a farmer tilled his land in the Syrian city of Latakiya in the Ra’s Shamra district. As he did so, he hit a large stone with his plow. It later turned out that it was the roof of an ancient grave site. Archaeologists then discovered the Kingdom of Ugarit, one of the most important Syrian empires in the history of the ancient Orient.
Due to its geographical location, Ugarit became a bridge for contact with numerous empires and peoples at this time. Evidence from ancient Egypt, Cyprus, Greece and other cultures was found in Ugarit.
The first alphabet in history was discovered in Ugarit. It is now taught in more than forty universities around the world.
Ugarit was a flourishing high culture. The remains of schools and libraries were found there, as well as poems, correspondence and decrees in written form, as well as artifacts made of ceramic, ivory and metal.
The board of directors
On January 9th, 2018 the board was elected for two years. It consists of five members from our affiliated associations. The board members represent the association in and out of court, each with sole power of representation
– Forming a cultural space for the Arab community
– Contributing to activating the role of the Arab community and its integration into German society
– Encouraging intercultural interaction
– Support for youth and children
– The center seeks to be part of the general cultural scene in Germany
– Seminars and Lectures / Literary Evenings / Concerts / Art Galleries /
– In the future, the club seeks to establish a library and run courses to teach Arabic